IHMRI's vision - excellence and innovation in health and medical research, supporting better health services, leading to a healthier Illawarra community - encapsulates the belief that by linking academic and clinical researchers around common health and medical issues, research findings can be rapidly translated into improved clinical practice and population health in the Illawarra and beyond.
IHMRI’s mission is to build a centre of excellence and innovation in health and medical research, targeting health improvements through early intervention and preventative health care.
IHMRI strives to achieve:
- excellence and innovation in targeted health and medical research - linking bright minds around common problems
- collaborative research capacity building in our region - bridging academic and clinical research contexts
- enhanced resourcing for health and medical research - connecting researchers to quality facilities and services
- improvements in clinical practice and the health of our community - translating discoveries into better care and health improvements
- an informed and engaged community - engaging the institute with the Illawarra community
- organisational growth and development - leading from the present to a better and sustainable future.
In January 2014, Dame Bridget Ogilvie, Chair of IHMRI’s Scientific Advisory Committee, was recognised by the UK’s Science Council in its list of 100 leading practising scientists. Dame Bridget was recognised as a “communicator scientist” for her ability “to enthuse, inform and get a message across by combining a deep knowledge of the science, empathy and understanding of the needs of the audience”. More here.
About IHMRI Video
The establishment of IHMRI in state of the art facilities on the University of Wollongong campus, marks a major milestone for the region and the health of the local community. Visit our You Tube channel.