In 2008, the Illawarra Health and Medical Research Institute (IHMRI) was formally constituted as a company limited by guarantee under the Corporations Act 2001 with the University of Wollongong (UOW) and the then South Eastern Sydney Illawarra Area Health Service (SESIAHS) as founding members of the company.
On 1 January 2011, the Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District (ISLHD) replaced the SESIAHS as the New South Wales Health entity in the Illawarra region and as the member and key stakeholder of the IHMRI Limited company.
IHMRI is governed by a Board of Directors comprising three directors each from the UOW and ISLHD, as well as three independent directors. The IHMRI Chair is appointed by the Board from among the independent directors.
Board of Directors
- Chair, Professor Alan Pettigrew, BSc, PhD, FAICD—Consultant and adviser on higher education and research (independent). Profile here.
- Professor John Rostas, BSc (Hons), PhD— Emeritus Professor, Faculty of Health and Medicine, University of Newcastle (independent). Profile here.
- Michael Bassingthwaighte, AM, FAICD—Chief Executive Officer, Lysaght Peoplecare (independent). Profile here.
- Professor Paul Wellings, CBE, BSc, MSc, PhD—Vice-Chancellor, UOW. Profile here.
- Professor Judy Raper, BE (Hons), PhD, FAICD, FTSE Deputy—Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation), University of Wollongong. Profile here.
- Mr Damien Israel, BBus, MAcc, CPA—Chief Finance Officer, UOW. Profile here.
- Ms Margot Mains, LLB, RGON, DipNG—Chief Executive, ISLHD. Profile here.
- Dr Vivek Nigam, MBBS, MHA, FRACMA—Executive Director of Medical Services, ISLHD. Profile here.
- Dr Michael Davis, MBBS, FANZCA, FJFICM—Critical Care Co-Director and Director Intensive Care, ISLHD. Profile here.
The conduct of IHMRI and its Board is guided by a hierarchy of governance documents including:
Support our research
To make a donation visit www.givenow.com.au/ihmri
Strategic Plan 2017-2021
Our new Strategic Plan 2017-2021 [PDF 522KB] outlines our priorities, strategies, targets and how we will measure success.